01 September, 2009

Noises - Part Deux

New pedals (Sun Ringle Octane Mag's) on the mountain bike are great -- super sticky, smooth cartridge bearings. Love 'em.

But...

The d*mn clunk was still there. More subtle, but still present. And now accompanied by an unpleasant creak, that I initially thought was the saddle. Great. Nothing like "clunk-squeak-squawk" roaring through the woods.

On Sunday took a ride on the blue trail at Island Lake. A couple of miles in, I look down at the bottom bracket and notice a gap with the left ring to the frame.

Hmmm.....

Sure enough, it's loose. So, this week's project - if I can carve out some time in a busy work week - is to tear the whole thing down. I think I'll clean it all out (Remington RemAction gun cleaner works GREAT for this sort of thing) and lube key interfaces, plus Loctite the retainer rings. Oddly, I enjoy projects like this one. There's something therapeutic in it. And, it beats a whole new Profile crankset and bottom bracket.

Geez, I love chasing odd noises on bikes. But it sure feels good when you find them!

-Sean-

No comments: