15 September, 2009

Anticipation

Last night as I'm hustling to mow the lawn before it gets dark, it hits me - change of seasons is here. Then this morning as I'm driving to work realizing it's darker than I'm used to, it's reinforced.


Every year I anticipate winter. What will this one be like? Lots of snow? Cold? The last two have been pretty good. My season ender for skiing in MI was over a foot of fresh pow in the course of a couple of days - outstanding. A lot of other great days in that season, too. Ordered my season ski pass, so sure hope for another good one. I imagine shortly I'll be dusting off ski gear, putting on a fresh wax, getting things in order for another season.

But I think one of my new favorites is winter steelhead fishing. There's something about the solace and purity of standing in a fast moving winter river that's unique. And, I seldom see anyone on even the busiest stretches of river. Not much action, but I've learned some tactics in this off-season that may prove helpful.

Meantime, I'll enjoy my mountain bike and some Fall fishing. Somehow, I'll survive those few weeks between the leaves turning and the flakes falling.

-Sean-

No comments: