30 September, 2009

Feelin' the Steel

Funny, even with the lousy weather this week, I'm energized. Wind and rain bring the salmon into the rivers and the steelhead behind them. I enjoyed learning more on trout this summer, but steelhead are my favorite species to chase.

I'm especially excited for this season as I feel like my knowledge has grown so much in the past year. I think the biggest area is rigging and tackle. I now have both Indy and Chuck-n-Duck rigs and know how to tie up proper rigs and how to fish both. I also have a better understanding of how to get the flies/eggs down to where the fish are. My guess is that most of last season I was just floating flies WAAAAY up over there heads. Especially with Winter steelhead, that's unlikely to yield much result.

Going on a trip with a guide, followed by a day on my own, for salmon next week. I hear there are starting to be some steelhead behind them. Maybe I'll just target those?

Tight lines!

-Sean-

No comments: