22 September, 2009

Slammin' Salmon

Off to Pere Marquette river with a friend and his son and father-in-law tomorrow. Should be great fun - my first attempt at salmon on fly rod. We're fishing a couple of spots I'm very familiar with for steelhead and trout.

This has set off the great gear selection frenzy. Never want to get there and not have the right stick. I think I'm going to take the following:

  • TFO 10 wt./Orvis BLA V reel/Zip line running line - set-up for chuck-n-duck style.
  • Scott 8 wt./Ross Momentum V reel/Orvis Wonderline fly line - either indy or just chuck-n-duck with fly line.

Seems like this combe gives me a couple of options. Most likely I'll end up fishing the TFO with the running line. I seem to be able to cover more water with this rig. I do think I'll stop at Baldwin Bait & Tackle for some hardware. I've been fishing split shot off a tail, but I think a slinky rig would enable the weight to slide around more and help me detect strikes and avoid snags.

More to follow!

-Sean-

No comments: