24 September, 2009

River Adventures

Enjoyed a great day on the Pere Marquette river yesterday. My friend Jon invited me to join him, father-in-law Ken, and son Daniel for Fall King Salmon.

I've fished with Ken before and this is a guy who knows his fishing - plus he's about the nicest human being you'll ever meet! True to form, he had the hot hand, with the first hook-up, the most fish, and the biggest fish (the trifecta!). I always enjoy a day on the water with Ken, and I always learn something from him.

But I think the biggest suprise of the day was Daniel. You never know about kids and outdoor pursuits. But Daniel clearly got the bug from his Dad and Grandpa - he was completely into the (LONG) day from beginning to end. His patience and enthusiasm were most impressive. The coolest part was the reaction of others on the river - it seemed like everyone we met thought having getting him out and started was super cool. And, honestly, it was. Kudos to Jon for introducing him, and to Daniel for his impressive skills and focus.

A truly enjoyable day - even though I got skunked. More on that in another post.

-Sean-

No comments: