25 September, 2009

Hardware

Unlike fishing dry flies for trout, species like steelhead and salmon require some more hardware to get the job done. Proper rigging to get the flies down to the fish demands a wide range of swivels, snaps, and various sorts of weights. Noticed on this week's trip to the PM that I've accumulated a lot of disorganized junk in my vest. Seems like there are 82 different little ZipLoc bags in there. Starting to get to be hard to figure out what I have and don't have. And where it is.

Regular readers will know - sort of disorganization isn't me.

Rainy day predicted tomorrow, so I think tackling (nice pun, eh?) this job is in order, before steelhead season gets rolling. Nothing like searching for a #5 snap swivel in 15 degrees and snow. Trying to figure out what's the best container for all this stuff. I'd like to have it be readily accessible to throw in my vest or jacket. Might use an old spare leader wallet I have laying around. Or may look for a fly box with compartments, instead of foam inserts.

Also need to assess stock of stoneflies and eggs for steelhead season so I can get things ordered if needed. Sounds like a fun bit of gear-related puttering!

-Sean-

No comments: