16 October, 2009

Chuck. Duck. Repeat.

Loving the new chuck and duck rig for wide open spaces! Was easily able to cover a nice bit of river on last visit to the PM. Indy fishing with fly line is fun, but really better suited to tighter spaces. Plus, it's more work!

So, my set-up is as follows: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V reel, with backing, and Climax ZipLine in the greenish 20# test version. The guide who helped me configure this suggested that while the 20# ZipLine is harder to find, it works much better than the heavier 30# white stuff. Evidently the 20# is less tangle-prone.

I must say that for me, it works extremely well. I was able to cast very accurately over fairly long distances. Minimal "Christmas tree" issues where you decorate the local flora with snagged flies. May have helped that I fished a single egg fly rig all day. Fewer hooks, fewer snags?

This set-up should also be good for winter - less resistance in the water which should make it easier to get the flies down to sluggish cold weather fish.

-Sean-

No comments: