19 October, 2009

Feelin' Frosty

Trip to Minnesota and real exposure to actual snow, plus some recent river trips have me eager for winter steelhead. There's just nothing quite like the solace of an empty winter river. Last winter I bet I saw no more than a half dozen people out. Contrast that to the "combat fishing" of the most recent salmon jaunts. Of course, 20 degree temps thins them out.

Funny though, this year should be even more fun as I might have the opportunity to CATCH something! I suppose I can chalk last year up to learning how to winter wade (and swim...), the access points, and such. Winter wading is certainly a more considered endeavor than other seasons. In fact, just getting into the river is a challenge with shelf ice, differing melt flows, etc.

But, I'm excited for this season - feel 100% better equipped with skills, tools, and knowledge. And there's nothing quite like an empty, slush river for that feeling of truly being outside and off the grid.

-Sean-

No comments: