02 October, 2009

Great In(vest)ment

For a while now, I've been thinking it was time to replace my super-cheap mesh fishing vest. No structure, pockets are in the wrong places, lacking a lot of attachment points. While standing in the PM last week, my forceps suddenly just dropped off the retractor. Fortunately I was in the shallows and just picked them up. But that was then end of the decision making cycle - time to graduate to a decent vest.

I've become tremendously brand-loyal to all things Simms, so that's where I start. And, once again, they don't disappoint. While the G3 Guide is phenomenal in terms of details, it's $75 more than a regular Guide vest. Beyond some cosmetics and a couple of other pockets, I really can't see any paying the difference.

Last night I transferred everything to the new vest. What a huge improvement this will be! D-rings for attaching tippet and stream thermometer. Upper pockets that will each hold a fly box. And, real, functional lower pockets that will actually keep things IN them!

But the biggest surprise is the structural design. My old vest just hung on me, especially when loaded down with steelhead hardware (all those little weights start adding up!). The Simms vest has a collar system that distributes the load more. And the entire vest just has more structure. It's like the difference between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. Once again, Simms designs a better product.

-Sean-

No comments: