01 December, 2009

Don't Get Fleeced

I've always liked Polarfleece and it's derivatives. Comfy, warm, dries quickly. But it was completely lacking in ANY windy conditions. If the wind was blowing at all, needed a shell over it to have a prayer of warmth. And, forget it if any rain is in the forecast.

A couple of years back I picked up a windproof North Face fleece. It quickly became a staple. Stops the wind, fairly comfy, even repels some water. But it gives up a lot of warmth over conventional fleece.

On my way up to a recent trip fishing on the Big Manistee, I realized I probably didn't have the proper outerwear. A quick stop netted me a Browning Hell's Canyon jacket. Little did I know how much I'd like it. When fishing the Big Man from a jet sled, it's all about surviving the ride from the launch to the first hole, and the ride back at the end of the day. It's a fast, chilly, splashy, windy ride, usually. You're warm for that, you're fine for the rest of the day. This Hell's Canyon jacket was perfect -- toasty, water repellent, and impervious to wind. And, with almost the comfort of conventional fleece!

In addition, this jacket has some great design features like neoprene cuffs with a nice cinch-down system, well positioned and generous chest pockets, and a ScentLock liner. Best of all? I paid $85 for it! My only regret? Camo's not always appropriate for everyday wear and I'd like another one for more general wear in a solid color!

-Sean-

No comments: