30 November, 2009

Upgrade

Been really enjoying fishing with my Dad over the past couple of years, so I picked him up a great surprise. He's started to like steelhead and salmon fishing on flies, but he's been doing it on a pretty low-end rig. Landing these big fish is largely about stopping them and maintaining control. This means a high-quality reel with a strong and reliable drag system.

Buddy of mine is selling off gear so I picked up a nice Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V (the old design) spooled up with Orvis running line. Perfect solution for chuck n' duck rig! And, got a bargain! I think the old man will be most pleased by this surprise and I'm happy to do it for him. Slap that on a TFO Signature or Orvis Clearwater and we've got a solid steelhead/salmon solution.

More to come soon -- been buried in work just lately! Gotta' earn money to fund my pursuits!

-Sean-

No comments: