25 November, 2009

Drift

I'm lovin' indicator fishing -- did it all day on the PM yesterday. I had an ephiphany on my first drift yesterday. It's not the cast, it's the drift. Sure, my roll cast is tons better, but that's really only a means to an end.

There's a special feeling from finding a spot, seeing a drift that hits the bubble line, avoids snags, and gets the depth just right. And indy fishing gives you a perfect visual high sign that you got it right! Indicator tipped forward? Dragging bottom, shorten up. Tipped way back? Goofy drift, pull it and start over. Straight up or just slightly forward? Nailed it. Plus, there's something really cool about doing it on a fly line. A bit more challenge.

But, yesterday was Boy Scout Knot Tying day. Seemed to be my day to find submerged snags. Started off on third drift when I lost it all -- and then realized I didn't have any swivels on me. Hike back to the truck, and lesson learned. Bought a dozen flies in the morning; came back with two...

-Sean-

No comments: