20 November, 2009

Gear Lust

Dang - every time I think I'm done with fly gear, I stumble into something else I just NEED. Or, at least I think I do.

This week, after figuring out my indicator fishing, I had a chance to watch my buddy fish them with his 11' Orvis Helios. I can see the benefit of line control with the longer stick, plus with a switch rod, you have some nice two-handed casting opportunities when you really need to cover some water.

No way I'm dropping $800 on a Helios, but it looks like Temple Fork Outfitters' new Deer Creek Series switch rod will be perfect at a fraction of the cost. Checked one out at local fly shop yesterday - looks like a sweet rod.

I've got a couple of TFO's Signature Series rods and they both perform really well at a very low cost. My 10 wt. was perfect for horsing in big ass Kings. On the other end of the spectrum, my 7'6" 3 wt. is ideal for trout on tiny tight UP trout streams. And they were both CHEAP.

Ah, well, one more stick...

-Sean-

No comments: