16 December, 2009

Wrenchin' for the Wright Wreason

I love winter wrenchin' on bikes in the basement workshop. Cozy, fire up some tunes. Maybe have a beer or three. Got a nice workstand and all the tools. Totally therapeutic.

But last night was the best. After a long day at work, I spent a couple of hours assembling a bike we got for one of the kids in our adopted family through SOS Community Services. Made one of my favorite activities even more heart-warming.

Funny thing, I can't see how most parents assemble these things for their kids. I've got a fully equipped shop and have worked in several bike shops. I've put together hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes of all shapes and sizes. It still took me a decent chunk of time. Of course, I probably agonize over the details more than most. Had to get those brake calipers perfectly centered, toed in the pads for no squeal, re-tensioned the too-tight chain. Probably not going to be appreciated by the five-year-old who's getting it. But, it sure felt good to do!

Enjoy the season!

-Sean-

1 comment:

Geo said...

Kids do appreciate it when things work and work well. I think we do the small people a great injustice when we give them crap. A crappy bike as a kid will keep many from thinking about biking as an adult. So maybe you gave that kid a little more than a bike, eh?