20 January, 2010

Carry A Big Stick

Just finished an article in American Rifleman on the "new" carry gun - allegedly the .380. The basic premise of the article is that with this smaller round, the burgeoning population with carry permits will be more likely to do so.

For non-gun folks (if you're even still reading this post) the .380 is the same diameter as a 9mm, just shorter. Because of this, it carries about 25% less gunpowder and thus achieves lower velocities. In a smaller round like .380 and 9mm, 25% is significant.

One of the key tenets I was taught by multiple instructors during my concealed classes was to always carry the largest round you're comfortable shooting regularly. We were taught that if the worst possible scenario were to happen and we were forced to use our firearm, it needs to get the job done.

For me, the the standard 9mm Luger is that round. Reasonable firepower. Practical to carry (especially in the compact form of my KelTec P11). Certainly there are those who feel the 9 is underpowered -- cool, that's what .40 S&W or .45 ACP are for. If you feel you need that stopping power, then you're willing to deal with the extra weight and bulk of those firearms.

To be honest, I seldom carry. But when I do, I want to have confidence I'd have the firepower to back up a worst-case situation if I found myself in one.

-Sean-

No comments: