18 January, 2010

I'll Pass, Thanks...


Took a trip downriver to the lower Huron river this weekend. I've wanted to go explore and has some location suggestions from a knowledgeable friend. I know folks who've caught steelhead down there, and it's only 40 minutes from home.

I think I'll pass...

Part of the reason I go fishing is the solitude and access to nature. This didn't qualify for either. Best potential spot was within sight of I-75. Fun. And there were a half dozen other guys working this spot. Crowds and combat fishing are part of the reason I'm not that wild about Kings up North.

Don't get me wrong -- I can get away without a float plane. The upper Huron, near my house is a great place to do that during the summer months. Sadly there's a network of dams that prevent steelhead from getting that far north.

One of the reasons the Pere Marquette is about my favorite river is the unique balance of minimal "civilization" balanced with accessibility. For only a 3-hour drive, I can get away from major traffic and lawnmowers, with world-class fishing.

-Sean-

No comments: