15 January, 2010

Gear Lust

If you haven't seen a Hatch fly reel, go to their web site right this moment.


I want one of these monsters - BAD! Of course, I have no need, nor reason to own one. But they're SO cool and exquisitely made. I remember a discussion when I first started fly fishing with Andy, the owner of Old AuSable Fly Shop in Grayling, about the feel of a truly great reel. At the time, I could appreciate it, but hadn't really had the chance to handle a great reel.

In my day job, I do a lot with machined parts and tooling. So, I appreciate truly beautiful CNC work. This is the hallmark of Hatch. This stuff is built like a brick shithouse AND it's beautiful, too! Inside, the unique drag system seems virtually indestructible, smooth and progressive, and impervious to the effects of weather or conditions. My Ross Momentum's a pretty cool reel, but the Hatch 9 Plus makes it look like a toy.

I want one. Sadly, they're stupid expensive - at least by my standards.

-Sean-

No comments: