14 January, 2010

Choices


Great Presentation by Tommy Lynch, PM guide extradordinaire for Hawkins Outfitters last night. Learned some cool tips and tricks, access points, and more. It was a good reminder of the myriad of styles and techniques.

Tommy's a big proponent of streamers, stripped and swung. And judging from some of the truly monster fish in his presentation, it works. At some point, I'll want to get a good sink-tip line on one of my bigger reels to give this a try.

So, I'll just add that to the rigging list. I'm primarily fishing indicators for steelhead, with some Chuck n' Duck in the Spring and Fall. I tried centerpin drifting and liked that a bunch. Now it's streamers. OK, so that's four rig styles. The good news is that I've achieved a level where I start to understand each, and when it's appropriate. For example, I've now heard from two guides that I can put my Chuck n' Duck gear away in the winter. Drift fishing is the only way to catch steelhead in the winter. OK, that helps. Takes one choice out of the mix!

Got some location pointers from one of the guys at the local fly shop. Can't get up North this weekend, so I think I'm going to go have a look at the lower Huron. I hear tell there's steel to be found there!

-Sean-

No comments: