12 January, 2010

Yoga Update

Went to week 2 of yoga class last night. Must say I'm finding it pretty fulfilling. Had some problems with my tweaky right knee after last week's class - talked to the instructor before class and much better today.

The stretching seem to really benefit me, although it quantifies just how much I need to work on my flexibility. Although at only my second class, I had noticed some improvement.

One thing that appeals to me is the order and respect of the class. When the instructor tells us that "five minutes early to class is on-time" I know I'm in the right place. Definitely appeals to my need for promptness. What was amazing were the number of people who rolled in late, despite knowing that. And, not just five minutes late -- one woman was 45 minutes after the start time!

I also like the notion of getting in touch with your motions. As a lifelong participant in balance and motion-based sports, I was amazed how quickly I was able to pick up on things like foot positioning and weight distribution. A lifetime of skiing, surfing, skateboarding, biking, and other sports means I usually know what my feet are doing. They're the connection to almost all of these pursuits.

Looking forward to my flexibility improving, but really enjoying the process.

-Sean-

No comments: