05 January, 2010

There Is No Try

For a long time I've been interested in taking a yoga class. I've read that many top skiers practice it with benefits of flexibility, strength, balance, and more.

Last night I attended my first class through the local Y. Now, I get it.

While it was all rather new and foreign to me, I very quickly understood how this will benefit me. In even the most basic poses, I could feel my own lack of flexibility. Fortunately, what I lacked in flexibility I did make up for in other areas like balance.

The instructor was great - she balanced newbies and more seasoned practitioners alike. I felt welcome and able to ask questions. She corrected me on a few things, but not so that I'd feel singled-out. Afterward we chatted for a bit (her day job is in marketing/advertising, too) and she commented that I'd had a solid first outing and would be very surprised by how quickly flexibility would come.

But the best part was afterward. I felt totally loose and relaxed. Already looking forward to next week's class! If you're active and have considered yoga, I must say I'm glad I gave it a go!

-Sean-

No comments: