08 February, 2010

Ahhhhh....

Ski season resumed on Saturday at Caberfae. Despite a busy weekend schedule, I was able to run north on Friday night so I could be on first chair on Saturday.

Conditions were surprisingly good, especially as there's not been significant new snow in some time. But during the recent thaw there was no rain, and temps stayed fairly cold at night.

Day was sunny and beautiful from the start. Although it was COLD! I heard discussions of -2 with wind chill and I don't doubt it. Winds were well over 10 mph even at 8am and built through the morning. But trusty new Black Diamond mittens meant toasty hands! And, I do love something about the cold, crisp days. I think that rush of cold air with every breath brings another level of awareness to the body.

Biggest surprise was lack of crowds. Even at the peak of the day, lift lines were moderate. I can only assume that was due to being SuperBowl weekend. But, whatever, I'll take it. Even at day's end there were still fresh groomers to be found. Pretty unusual in the Midwest.

Storm system is coming. We've missed most of the snow this year. So, prospects of up to 12" are pretty exciting!

-Sean-

No comments: