05 February, 2010

Big Stick

Another favorite among gear is my steelhead indicator rig. It starts with a Scott S3 in 9'6" 8-wt. configuration. Then I added a Ross Momentum V reel. And finally, Orvis Wonderline Steelhead line, overlined a bit in 9-wt. Also to run an indicator rig, you need an indicator. I've settled on the Blackbird Phantoms - invisible from below, easy to read from the top.

It's a great all-around set-up for steelhead fishing on a pretty wide range of rivers. With the longer rod, I can cover a good bit of water. And the Momentum's drag system is outstanding. Smooth start-up but strong as an ox.

Like my other Scott rod, the S3 is fantastic. I was amazed at the difference in casts, control, and even line feel. With my Scott's, it's just easier to cover water and to tell what's going on. I'm really glad I picked this rod up.

But the biggest improvement on this set-up is me! Initially I didn't really get the whole indicator style of fishing. But thanks to guide friends Jon Ray and Mike Schultz I'm much more clear on how to set it up, read the indicator, and other key elements. Also, I learned a decent roll cast, which helps immensely.

This summer, I think I'll also try poppers for bass on this one. I fish with a friend on a local lake from his boat and I think this rig will be solid for that, too. I had thought about using the new sink-tip set-up on this rod, but I think I'll put that on my 9' Orvis Clearwater II instead.

Nice to have gear dialed and just what I wanted!

-Sean-

No comments: