02 March, 2010

Bargain Shopping

Picked up an Albright GP Series rod in 8 wt. for use in my 350 grain sink-tip set-up. Regular price is around $200 and I picked it up for under 50 bucks with free shipping. I've had Albright recommended by a guide before, and I think I maybe have even fished one previously.

My theory was that re-rigging is a PAIN. Snip the fly off, remove the reel/spool, install the other reel/spool, re-tie the fly/streamer. Easier to just have a dedicated rig and this makes it really cheap. I've done this with my steelhead gear with great success. Plus, I can see times when I might want to switch over, even for just a few, and try a different technique. My logic is that if it's easy to use, it's more likely to actually GET used!

But, I'm a big believer in the old "you get what you pay for" adage. I'll be curious to see product quality when it arrives. If nothing else, it will be nice to have a back-up rod handy for heavy-duty applications.

-Sean-

No comments: