03 March, 2010

Hello, Old Friend

Grabbed my Ross CLA 3 reel last night to get the spare spool lined up with a sink tip for stripping streamers this summer. I've been swinging all the big gear since September and seeing this reel made me smile.

This reel is part of my main summer fishing rig for trout and smallmouth. I've had some of my nicest, most pleasant outings with it. Some highlights:
  • My first evening on the AuSable last May during an excellent Hendrickson hatch; both my first time on the Holy Waters as well as my first experience with a big hatch.
  • A pleasant evening camping and fishing at the Clay Banks on the Pere Marquette in July. One of the most relaxing trips I've had in a long time. Caught two nice trout, followed by a meal grilled over an open fire and a great night in a tent.
  • Fishing the upper Huron, five minutes from home, for smallmouth during the hex hatch last summer.
  • An evening on the Two Hearted River in Michigan's UP. Unfortunately it was during the mosquito hatch! But solid two-fish night, followed by a campfire on the shores of Lake Superior and a great dinner.

Looking forward to some more fun with this rig this season!

-Sean-

No comments: