29 March, 2010

Rooster Rockin'

Great day hunting pheasants and chuckar's at the Rooster Ranch in Ubly (tip of the Thumb for those less familiar with Michigan geography. My buddies Nick and Andy joined me for my birthday hunt (a present from Rita) and a great day. The Rooster Ranch was a suggestion from Andy, and a solid one. I've been to a number of preserves and I think this was the best by far. Great people, lively birds, great mix of cover. Plus, they own all their land so they have a lot more control versus spots that just lease.

Had some operator error issues with Stoeger Uplander side-by-side assembly, so I started out with my Remington 11-48 auto. Bad plan. Although I've shot a few rounds of sporting clays and done with it, I don't have much field experience with this gun yet. So as Nick and Andy are getting in solid shots, I'm Mr. Whiff! And the easy of shooting the auto seems to incent me to take shots I should pass on. So I decide to figure out the Stoeger when we get back closer to the truck.

Wow!

MUCH better. Though this gun has plenty I don't like about it, out in the field, it's AWESOME. Light, points perfectly, comes up quickly. As soon as I had it in my hands, I knew all would be well once again. Sure enough, I'm hitting birds, confidence is back -- it's all good!

If you're looking for a solid hunt, try the Rooster Ranch -- the drive's a little further, but it's worth it!

-Sean-

1 comment:

Anthony Family said...

Hi There, This is Christine Anthony from the Rooster Ranch Hunt Club... So glad you had a wonderful time ~ Hope to see you again :O)