26 March, 2010

Invasive Species

Read a recent bulletin from local chapter of Trout Unlimited that there's been evidence of VHS disease in nearby Portage Lake. Unfortunately, Portage Lake is part of the Huron River chain -- right above areas I fish.

Given the focus on stopping the spread of things like VHS, whirling disease, etc. I feel compelled to do my part. It seems like boot soles will be a key starting point. But the strategies for effectively cleaning and such don't seem to agree -- and short of boiling my boots or running them through the dishwasher, I'm not sure how I'd achieve it.

So, I think the next best plan is yet MORE gear. That is keep my current boots for the Huron, and pick up something for Northern rivers. Naturally, I gravitate toward Simms as I've been so pleased with their other products. I think it's time to head to the local fly shop to explore.

-Sean-

No comments: