25 March, 2010

Whatever Floats Your Boat

I've had the itch for a boat of some sort for fishing for a while. It would enable greatly expanded access to fishable water, and would be fun, too! Problem is I don't think I know what I need (or can afford?).

Initially, I thought an inflatable pontoon would be a good solution. Affordable, durable, easy to learn to row. But it's solo fishing exclusively. And, I'd like to be able to go out with friends.

Thus far, a drift boat looks like a good solution. Solid for 1-2 companions. Durable. Can fish out of it, or use it as the "river taxi". Of course, "drift" means downriver, so you have to be able to figure out some sort of spotting method. On the PM that's fairly easy. Remote UP rivers, less so.

I have seen some "power drifters" that would enable easier lake fishing, as well as self-supported fishing on larger rivers like the Manistee and Muskegon.

But, naturally, this all comes down to money. I've seen some deals, but not many steals. And adding a motor to a power drifter puts you in a whole new category.

And finally, I've never even rowed one on a river. I may need to start there with an accomodating friend.

-Sean-

No comments: