31 March, 2010

Tied Up

Took my first beginner fly tieing class last night at Colton Bay Outfitters. What a fun, and productive activity! Instructor Chris Hatcher taught us to tie a Woolly Bugger and Green Caddis Nymph last night. I was surprised how quickly I was able to pick up the basics!

Of course now I'm looking for a vise and tools as I have NOTHING to practice with before next week and I'm eager to tie a few up. Figure I'll spend a few bucks, and eventually save a lot on buying flies.

There's definitely a ton of finesse I need to learn, especially as we progress to more advanced flies. Even cut a deal with Chris to teach me to tie eggs. I figure I lose enough of them in steelhead season, best to learn how!

This looks like a great thing to do during downtime - between seasons or when conditions keep me inside! Eager to continue this adventure!

-Sean-

No comments: