20 April, 2010

Evolution

One part of Sunday's change-up on the river was that I broke out the Chuck-n-Duck rig for a bit after lunch. Didn't have much luck in the morning, and I figured maybe the issue was that I wasn't really getting down to the fish. Plus, I had it with me, so what the heck?

The primary criticism of C&D is that it's not "real" fly fishing as it uses a bunch of weight and a running line, rather than a floating fly line. Ordinarily, I don't get swayed much by "real fly fishing"discussions as they're usually tech weenie esoteric elitist bullshit. But in this case I just found I was enjoying it less than fishing my indy rig. Roll casting is more fun for me, and I'm actually better able to deliver the fly to where I want it, while avoiding overhanging branches and other obstacles.

Plus, the other name for C&D is "bottom bouncing". While that's all cool on more unobstructed rivers with gravel or sand bottoms, the PM is full of downed timber and other hazards - part of what makes it a great fishery. Within a half hour I'd already lost more flies and split shot than I did the balance of the day on the indy rig.

After a short stint, it was back to the truck for the indy rod. MUCH better, went right back into the zone!

I suppose I should take all of this as a sign of growth. After all, C&D was my introduction to steelheading. For the first couple of years it was the only way I'd ever caught fish. But, over the past year, with the guidance of some good teachers coupled with some hours on the water, I've graduated to indy fishing as my main tool. All in all, I must say this feels like an accomplishment.

Tight lines!

-Sean-

No comments: