19 April, 2010

Mixing Up the Program

Decided to shuffle the deck on the PM yesterday. Been reading Rober Traver's "Trout Magic" and a recent story mentioned that most fishermen return to the familiar. When I started at my usual spot, though only two trucks in the lot, there were several folks out on the river, plus some guide boats.

Initially, I decided to move fast through this area working around the others I encountered. But then it occured to me to move to the end. Gleason's Landing is the end of the flywaters (and of most guided float trips) so I decided to move down there early, then jump back up the river later. Turned out to be a decent strategy. Far fewer folks at Gleason's. Then after lunch I moved up to the Ledge Hole access to work that. As I was rigging up in the parking lot four guys walked out. Those were the last people I saw all afternoon!

I really enjoyed getting out of the comfort zone and finding some other good spots. As an added bonus, I haven't been back to the Ledge access since taking my little unplanned January swim a couple years back. So, I needed to conquer it -- which I did. Seeing it now I can see how I stepped into it; but I'm amazed how much I've learned since then. My wading skills are MUCH better now!

Found some nice fishy spots. I think some will be especially good for summer trout on dries and nymphs. While I had a few strikes, and a chase from one sizable brown, my only catch was a little rainbow. Hey, better than getting skunked, right?

-Sean-

No comments: