22 April, 2010

First Aid

Eerie experience on my way home last night. Was an early arrival to the scene where a man had jumped from a highway overpass. I don't think details are necessary -- you can likely imagine them for yourself.

For a while I've been thinking I should renew some of my First Aid/CPR certifications, since it's been a LONG time. Last night's scene put some more motivation onto that feeling. I find myself in plenty of places where having some training could prevent a bad situation from degrading into a disaster.

This is kind of the missing link in my Boy Scout "Be Prepared" ways. I'm usually way overprepared for my outdoor adventures -- extra layers, waterproof gear, etc. And, I'm usually thinking things like, "What if it's colder than the forecast?" or "...if that rain turns to snow....". But what if something injury happens to me or my companions? That's a significant missing element in my plan.

So, I think it's off to the Red Cross web site. I think a basic First Aid/CPR class will be a good start. Probably a good idea for anyone.

-Sean-

2 comments:

Michelle G said...

Sean...
I'm sorry to hear about the incident that sparked your renewed interest in First Aid training!
Small world... I'm on the west coast and we had a similar overpass incident last week as well. Sad.

My First Aid & CPR/AED training and professional experience has been through MEDIC First Aid and American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI) and I would highly recommend their programs (via HSI.com)

Good luck in your endeavors,
Michelle

Geo said...

Excellent idea!