26 April, 2010

Whole New World

After my brief introduction to fly tying, I am completely overwhelmed -- but in a good way. Just walking into a fly shop with a good selection of tying supplies seems to knock the little hamster right off the treadmill in my brain.

So many favorite patterns I want to figure out how to tie -- Hendrickson's, Sulfurs, little black Stoneflies, BWO's, various egg patterns. Stopped at Nomad Anglers on Saturday morning where I finally secured the elusive green d-rib for tying green caddis nymphs. But, I also picked up a really comprehensive book on tying techniques and patterns. One piece of advice they had was not to get overwhelmed -- learn to tie 3-4 basics. Then add to your repertoire. I think this is good advice. Toward that end, I think I'll focus on these four:
  1. Egg flies -- it's still steelhead season for at least a little while, and I want to have my program DIALED for these come Fall.

  2. Wolly Buggers -- easy to tie, plus solid for summer trout and smallies. A big Huron River fave.

  3. Green caddis nymphs -- always had good luck on these, and now I have the materials for them.

  4. Grey Drake Parachute or Adams Parachute -- having a dry in the mix forces me to up my game and this is a solid all-around pattern.

Naturally I've already picked the next four. But I'm hoping I can spend the next month or two getting these down. Plus, a nice supply of these four will get me a solid start on summer!

-Sean-

No comments: