27 April, 2010

Rip n' Strip

Headed to the PM tomorrow night for a day of "business fishing"(hey, I don't golf...) on Thursday. I'd been wondering what the plan was -- this was originally booked as a guided steelhead trip, but there's not much chrome in the PM these days. Just talked to the friend/media partner who put this together and he found out from the guide that the plan is primarily stripping streamers for trout! AWESOME! I set-up sink tips in 6- and 8-weight configurations over the winter. I've done a little technique research online, and did a quick demo in a class last year, but nothing beats getting out and doing it on the water! Eager to get out and do it.

After I get off the river, I'll then be headed north to the Upper Peninsula. This is the annual Spring trip with my Dad, Uncle, and assorted friends. Talked to my Dad on Sunday -- rivers are low, but he managed to land a steelhead and a brown. As of now, I'm thinking it might be time for some exploration off the beaten path (or at least to new places for US). Was doing some reading on the middle section of the Escanaba, which looks interesting. Also considering a trek to the Two Hearted in a couple of spots.

On the way home, if weather permits and there's a good hatch on, I'll likely do a bit of the Holy Waters of the AuSable. Always had good luck here in the past and it's very pleasant on a Spring evening.

Should be a blast! Now to get my work and packing done!

-Sean-

No comments: