10 May, 2010

Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

It seems I'm always tweaking some piece of outdoor gear for better performance, or to adapt it to my needs or style. Latest victim is the Centerpin fly rig. Smooth running, low-friction bearings are at the heart of a good centerpin reel. And, I figured that better bearings deliver better performance in other rolling applications - bicycles, skateboards, Rollerblades - so why not my 'pin?

Enter Boca Bearings. I found them through a discussion forum on Steelheadsite on pinning. Turns out these guys specialize in a wide range of high-performance bearings for fishing reels, RC cars, and more. Pretty cool! Found my reel in their model list and quickly a set of their high-performance ceramic Orange Seal bearings are on their way!

Spent some time on the pin on a recent trip. I've found yet another great tool for fishing steelhead. If you need to efficiently cover a LOT of water with long straights, it's a great method. As an added bonus, it's EASY! Once you figure out the mechanics of casting and providing drag during fights, it's very low impact. On my recent trip I was fishing with mostly chuck-n-duck guys who looked over longingly as I delivered 100' and longer drifts!

The coolest part may be the fight. There's NO drag on a pin reel. It's all you, palming the reel to slow a charging fish. Eventually I found it was best to leave the rod under my left arm, and provide drag with my right hand by reaching across.

Sure, there's some debate over whether pins are "real" fly fishing. But the reality is that other than the main line, my rig is VERY similar to what I used to Indicator fish with a floating line. And I'd argue that centerpin float fishing is more fly fishing than chuck-n-duck! Plus, I have to add, it's a BUNCH more fun!

One caveat - I had a knowledgeable 'pin fisherman show me the ropes. This would be a tough model to teach yourself, I think. If you're interesting, find someone who's done this before and learn from them.
Can't wait to get the new bearings in the reel for next Fall! Should be a blast on big water like the Manistee, Muskegon, or Manistique!
-Sean-

No comments: