25 May, 2010

Crash Pads

I love finding the local dumpy-but-clean motel as a home base for outdoor antics. Clean bed and a hot shower are my only requirement; other than CHEAP. If there's an interesting bar with digestible food nearby, that's a bonus. The best places are locally owned and genuinely happy to have your business. Here are a few faves:

Red Moose Lodge - Baldwin, MI
Home base for my winter steelhead adventures on the Pere Marquette. Nicely updated recently, clean rooms, and Clint and Debi are about the nicest folks you could ever meet. Plus, in the winter, a single room is only $45. Free wireless (though it only works in the lodge), a hot tub, free continental breakfast - and it's right on the river. Only disadvantage -- it's smaller, so it fills up fast in peak seasons.

BBT Motel - Baldwin, MI
Owned by the excellent folks at Baldwin Bait & Tackle, the BBT Motel is a frequent destination and great alternative to the Red Moose. Fifty bucks a night, it's clean, and a solid choice. My only complaint were the bathrooms that needed some updates - but I hear they were recently re-done.

Metropolitan Inn - Salt Lake City, UT
If you're in Utah to ski, staying in the valley can be the hot ticket. You can reach a dozen resorts in under 45 minutes from downtown. Plus it's cheaper and you have access to great dining and bars. Solitude got a foot overnight -- go there. Next day, Powder Mountain -- cool. I stumbled on this place a few years back. From the outside, it looks a bit sketchy. But the rooms are clean, recently updated and have Tempurpedic beds! Quick walk to Squatter's brewpub at day's end!

Fay's Motel - Grayling, MI
A recent addition, Fay's is outstanding if you want to fish the AuSable or upper Manistee rivers in the Grayling area. When I called for a reservation the owners were just great -- really seemed to appreciate my business. Clean room, hot shower, and a great location. All for $53.60 a night with tax!

Manistee National - Manistee, MI
If you're fishing the lower Manistee river in the winter, a sweet destination and a deal. For $60 a night you get updated rooms with flat-panel TVs, a free continental breakfast, a pool, and a nice pub/lounge area. Bungalow Inn just up the road has excellent food and friendly staff.

Those are my hot locations - now one to stay away from. I thought Caberfae Crossing would be a hot spot -- close to the ski hill, a few miles from Tippy Dam. On my first visit, I find my rate jacked up on my arrival, my TV not working, and a lousy bed. Stay away.

Enjoy!

-Sean-

No comments: