26 May, 2010

G3 = Great Fit, Great Function, Great Features

I've written plenty about how impressed I am with Simms Fishing gear. It costs more, but it's invariably worth it. A year in with my Simms G3 waders, I couldn't be happier. Regular readers may recall these were a replacement for my thoroughly disappointing Orvis Silver XT's. At the time, this mean throwing in some $$$ (ok, actually quite a few $$$) that I wasn't too happy about. But a year later, it was worth every penny.

When you think about it, waders are a pretty critical component to a safe, comfortable, enjoyable day on the water. You're basically wearing plastic pants for 8-10 sometimes. Fit,breathability, function and a million other little variables can make such a difference.

Simms got the G3 right. First the fit is unlike any wader I've tried. After the G3's, everything else just seems baggy and floppy. Yet, even in full winter steelhead layers, everything fits. I've never quite figured out this piece of magic, but I'll just accept it. And since abrasion is a leading cause of wear, I figure these are in for a long life.

And then there's functionality. Can't say enough good things about fleece-lined handwarmer pockets. On a chilly steelhead day, it's nice to shove your hands in for a quick warm-up. Also several Velcro and zip pockets give you a place for all your stuff.

Initially, I had some reservations about the gravel guards. The seemed a bit flimsy and had a raw neoprene edge. But after a year, they show ZERO signs of wear, so I think this concern was unfounded.

If you're in the market for waders and haven't tried the Simms G3, I highly recommend you hit the local fly shop and try some on. Also, a word to the wise - in addition to supporting local businesses, there are about a gajillion sizes and some help from a knowledgable fly shop is invaluable.

-Sean-

No comments: