30 June, 2010

Nice Ride

I love my road bike. I realized that last night. While I may lust over the full-carbon Scott CR-1, the reality is I don't really need it and I don't seem to have $2,000+ burning a hole in my pocket. And, really, will it be THAT much better?

Perhaps the reason I love this bike so much is that it's all set-up for me and my riding style and build. What started as a pretty entry level 2004 Giant OCR3 now has some pretty nice gear that works for ME, including:
  • Look 110mm stem to replace the crappy, creaky adjustable stock one
  • Look clipless pedals
  • Garmin Edge 305 cycling computer
  • Fizik bar tape
  • Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x23mm tires (super smooth, puncture  resistant and great road feel)
  • Serfas Rx saddle
  • Kool-Stop brake pads (big stopping improvement)
  • Custom-built wheels by Steve Sauter of Great Lakes Cycle with Mavic rims, Shimano 105 hubs, and stainless DT spokes -- after I wore our the factory wheels these are an AWESOME upgrade
Sure, I have a few issues with this bike. Not a big fan of the triple crankset as I never use the granny gear and having to cover a triple means the front doesn't shift very crisply. And for some reason, Giant uses house brand long-reach brakes that don't stop very well. But the aluminum frame is the same used on higher end Giant's. It's stiff enough for efficiency, but soft enough not to beat me up on long rides.

Just goes to show you that it's not always the most expensive toy that wins - sometimes it's the best toy for YOU.

-Sean-

No comments: