29 June, 2010

Pieces and Parts

Been stocking up my tying supplies lately. Now I finally understand the scramble among guest tyers when they find something in-stock at a shop. There's such a myriad of supplies, that few shops can stock everything. So, when you find copper 7/64" beads, you snap up three bags (not a made-up example; I've actually been looking for these).

Yes, I know you can go online and order this stuff. But two factors come into play. First, I try to support local shops wherever possible and tying supplies is the perfect opportunity. And second, spending $8.95 on shipping for $2.50 worth of beads is silly.

Even the big box stores don't hold much inventory. Was in a Cabelas last week and they had even less than my local fly shop. This depleted inventory seems likely an effect of the down economy. I know a lot of specialty retailers are using reduced inventory as a source of cash flow management (and who can blame them?).

So, if you find 7/64" copper beads and size 16 2x long nymph hooks, buy me a couple bags!

-Sean-

No comments: