08 June, 2010

Out forTrout

Awesome weekend of UP trout fishing with Dad! Started off with a day on the water with Brad Petzke of Riversnorth Outfitters on Friday. In the morning, we fished a section of river that was just money for me. Landed three fish and had several others on in just a couple of hours - including a nice 17" brown!

Brad gave me some much-needed instruction on stripping streamers. There's a bit of coordination required that's not exactly intuitive, but with some patient teaching, I figured it out. And it produced results! BAM -- those hits on streamers are not to be missed. Oddly, this stretch was not as kind to Dad who got skunked.

But after lunch, it was a different story. It was all Dad's program with numerous hook-ups and 3 good fish landed. I got two more for the afternoon, including one on nymphs -- so I hit for the cycle with fish on dries, nymphs, and streamers in a single day.


It was clear to me that part of Brad's UP program is protecting his locations. Unlike any guide I know his truck is COMPLETELY sans decoration -- most seem to roll NASCAR-style with 82 stickers from every related company. When asked, he said, "Don't need to draw attention to the fact that I chose to be HERE." Solid logic. I will say we were on the Escanaba River. But that's all you'll get out of me.

More to follow on this awesome trip. One note, we did return to this piece of river on Saturday evening. Once again, my hot spot, not Dad's! But, in his defense on Saturday he had equipment issues -- he's vowed to avenge this wrong!

-Sean-

No comments: