24 June, 2010

Technology Upgrade

Dad's finally admitting that perhaps his 1950's fiberglass rod isn't the most effective tool. Actually, I think he said, "I've had it 51 years and never caught any trout in the first 50." Might be a touch of exaggeration. But I sent him back up to the UP with my back-up Ross Flystart rig. Early reports are that it's a much more efficient tool.

What he didn't know was that the Ross was a temporary solution. I rallied the family for Father's Day and he's getting a new 6-weight all around rig. Orvis Clearwater II 9' mid-flex rod, an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor (with free spare spool -- thanks Orvis!) and Rio line. He was pretty excited when I called to tell him on Father's Day.

This will round things out nicely for him. He's already got a 6' Orvis 4-wt. for the backwoods bushwhackin' brook trout streams he loves. And now he's got a big stick for more open water.

Can't wait to hit the Escanaba with him to see him try it out!

-Sean-

No comments: