18 June, 2010

Tying Progress!

OK, I'm getting there -- finally with fly tying! No oddball streamers or exotic dries. Just focusing on learning a couple patterns at a time.

Got Wooly Buggers down pretty quickly. Once I banged out a few, got pretty consistent. As I've had good luck on Pheasant Tail Nymphs, decided these were next. First few were, to be kind, clunky. Just wasn't happy with the sequence of steps and the result from the recipe I had.

Enter YouTube. Wow. Quick search yielded a half dozen clips. Watched a few until I found one I liked. Good combination of being executable and good finished product. Then wrote out a sequence and off to the tying desk! BAM! First one perfect. Second, too. Then I picked up some 2x nymph hooks and bead heads to try a weighted nymph. Again, solid results!

Best reward? I sent Dad back up to the UP with a half dozen and he left me a voice mail last night he'd just caught a couple of trout on them! MONEY!

Up next, time for some dries. Then I find a hopper or other terrestrial, since it's getting to be that time of Summer...

-Sean-

No comments: