27 July, 2010

Bang!

Taurus .22 revolver came back last week, as mentioned previously. I was eager to get it out for a trial run. Hot, sticky, rainy weekend weather made Saturday perfect for that. The gunsmith's notes had the problem as "jams" and the fix as "adjustment" so no real clue what was up.

The verdict? Perfect. Cycled smoothly with several types of ammo, no jam-ups between rounds in both single- and double-action shooting. Kudos for the Taurus lifetime warranty!

Now that the gun works properly I can start evaluating how it performs. Fortunately, I have a great benchmark -- my Browning Buckmark. My Buckmark is a truly wonderful gun to shoot. I'm continually amazed at how accurate it is at distances up to 25 yards. The Taurus isn't quite as accurate, but I think that has more to do with shooting a revolver versus a semi-auto than the gun itself. In my previous experiences with revolvers, I've had some issues with accuracy. This is part of the reason I wanted this cool little gun, so I could learn to shoot a revolver.

My only complaint is the grip's a little small. But I think a Hogue or Pachmyr slip-on oversleeve should do the trick, so one will be ordered, soon.

Best story of the day was the shooter a couple of lanes over. As he was packing up, he noticed I was shooting the Taurus. He asked, "Hey, do you find that thing jams up often?" My answer, "I used to, until today...". I gave him the details and sounds like he'll be shipping it back for service.

More reports to come as I figure out how to shoot this thing!

-Sean-

No comments: