28 July, 2010

Made in USA?

Segment on talk radio today on American-made products set me to thinking. One caller argued that people won't pay more for American-made goods and services. In the Wal-Mart era, I suppose there's some truth to that. Plus you could argue that it's a global economy and we need to learn how to play to survive in the New World Order -- a line of logic that inherently makes sense to me. Plus, some products just AREN'T made in America anymore. Shopped for a TV lately?

But, let's simplify, in many cases you have do have a choice - one where products are comparable and pricing is less than a 25% differential. Take for example entry-level fly rods. A Scott A3 will set you back $335 at list. And, it's 100% made in Colorado. By contrast, the performance-comparable Sage Flight is made overseas. At $280 that's a difference of only $55. Would you pay that difference? I think I would -- although I'm pretty biased toward the Scott brand, which is a different discussion. I feel the same about Ross Reels. Part of the appeal for me, in addition to rock-solid construction is that all of the Ross Reels brand (Note: NOT Ross Worldwide - that's from the Pacific Rim) products are made in the U.S.

Lest you think I'm a redneck with an "out of work yet..." bumper sticker, I do realize the value of the global economy. My CZ 452 rifle is a good example. It's Czech made and benefits from low labor costs. And it's a wonderfully well-made gun at a surprising price. I'd readily put it up against the Browning T-Bolt (made in either Utah or Montreal these days) at twice the price.

I have no clear-cut answers on this issue (I used to have Jeep that was made in Detroit, but part of a company owned by Germans...) however, when it's feasible, there are advantages to supporting companies who manufacture in America. In my opinion, that's a worthwhile investment.

-Sean-

2 comments:

Made in USA CERTIFIED said...

We think it is a worthwhile investment as well!! Made in USA CERTIFIED-- we certify companies that manufacture products here in the USA. Proudly supporting manufacturing and job sustainability in the United States of America. Check us out: www.usa-c.com

Best American Arts said...

We need to keep and create real American jobs. Small businesses and entrepreneurs create most of the new jobs in America. Imported goods are flooding the shelves of even small retailers like gift shops and galleries. American consumer purchases drive two-thirds of our economy so how we choose to spend our money really matters. Let's make this the year of the American gift.