30 July, 2010

Bonding

One of the things I love about fly fishing is the almost-instant connections it makes. These transcend education, work, socioeconomic status, what you drive, what you wear...

Today I moderated a branding exploration for a client. One of their senior executives is known for being a particularly hard-nosed sort. Somehow it came up that we both fly fish, and instantly we had some common ground. I can't count the number of times that's happened. For allegedly being second only to golfers for snobbery, fly folks are always so approachable. And there's so much ground to cover. Where do you fish? For what? What gear do you prefer? Do you tie your own?

This particular fisherman did teach me a pretty cool phrase, "The seduction of trout..." that I do believe I'll be borrowing (crediting him, of course). Meanwhile, I'm bound for a long weekend of camping and tossing some hoppers and stripping streamers on the PM.

-Sean-

No comments: