07 July, 2010

More Bike Love

Got the mountain bike out last night for a little trail riding. Much like the road bike, I love this ride! And again, I think it's because I customized a bike that was exactly what I wanted. I like to ride narrow, twisty singletrack. Not a huge fan of climbing monster hills. And, I like to keep things simple. So a single-speed 29er is PERFECT! With the possible exception of the head-scratching looks I get when I tell folks it only has one gear.

This bike's even more custom than the road bike. What started as a used 2006 SE BMF purchased from Craigslist, has been really transformed. I think this bike was used by the prior owner as a dirt jumper, so the wheels were pretty thrashed. A quick visit to Steve Sauter at Great Lakes Cycle got me rollin' on some new hoops -- Mavic TN719 rims, black DT spokes, kept the stock front Formula hub and a White Industries ENO Eccentric in the back to enable chain tensioning.

Always wanted discs, and the SE had mounts, so some Avid BB7's replaced the stock rim brakes. Now I have great power and modulation, and more freedom from mud issues. Plus, discs just look cool. Yes, that's silly, but it's my bike...

Fugly SE saddle was swapped out for a WTB Laser I had in my parts pile. Stock 41-16 gearing was ridiculous for anything but sidewalks. So a 31t Graveyard front sprocket (donated by a BMX friend who had it in his parts pile), 18t White Industries freewheel and Wipperman s/s chain took care of driveline needs. And finally, the stock generic pedals got swapped for some Sun Ringle magnesium ones with super-smoooooth sealed bearings. Maybe the best upgrade was some 5.10 Impact Low shoes. Comfy and they stick like GLUE! I'm just not up for clipless pedals on a mt. bike, so this was a nice compromise.

The completed ride climbs like a goat, tracks through corners like it's on rails, and rolls over logs, rocks and other obstacles with incredible ease. The 29" wheels took some getting used to (big wheels + big feet = opportunities for interferences if you're not paying attention) but the way the gobble up terrain makes it worthwhile. And the Sauterbuilt wheels are significantly stronger then anything stock -- 29er wheels are notoriously less strong, due to their larger size.

What's next? My guess will be Profile cranks. These BMX-designed cranks offer incredible precision and indestructible performance. But I'm holding off, if possible. Cool ride, and I'm glad I took the time to build it up to suit ME. BTW, at right is the before picture. First thing to go? The fustercluck of miscellaneous stickers!

-Sean-

No comments: