08 July, 2010

Chrome, Chrome on the Brain...

It's in the 90's and super-humid in Michigan lately. Yet I'm continually thinking about standing in an icy river with an 8-weight fly rod watching an indicator bob down the river. Waiting for that tug-THUMP that signals the arrival of a hungry steelhead.

This starts with the gear. While I'm pretty well equipped for a wide range of styles, I'm doing some shuffling to add another to my bag of tricks this season.

Last Spring I added a TFO Deer Creek switch rod in 11'6" to my quiver. Thanks to cooperative and knowledgeable guide Jed Litwiller, I was able to borrow a reel with a Skagit line and get some coaching on casting. Wow. Minimal effort, maximum coverage.

So this sets a chain of events into motion. Need to pick up a second spool for both my Orvis BLA V and my Ross Momentum V. Orvis will become the single-hand rod reel with floating line on one spool and chuck-and-duck (not my preferred method, but sometimes the only choice) on the other. Momentum will be dedicated to switch rod with heavier Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line on one spool. Second spool will get a Skagit line for swinging flies. My early research suggests a Rio Skagit line, but this is a complex equation of grain weights, sink tip lengths and more. Fortunately, friend, guide, and fly shop guru Mike Schultz can help me figure that one out.

With that, the program is complete. I'll be able to fish single- and two-handed indicators, two-handed swinging, chuck-and-duck, and (gasp!) centerpin. This enables me to switch up my game to the waters, conditions, and my mood. 

Meanwhile, time for some smallmouth action on the Huron,and maybe a trek North to the cooler waters for a few trout!

-Sean-

No comments: