30 August, 2010

I Know A Guy...

Seems like so many outdoor pursuits require knowledge, access, or experience. A big part of my professional life involves networking, and these skills have translated well into outdoor antics. Whether its gear, a sharp local guide, lodging, or totally new experiences, who you know (and often who THEY know) goes a long way.

A friend's father-in-law was in the market for a heavy-duty reel for Fall Salmon fishing. Sure enough, I knew a guide who was looking to clear out some inventory to generate cash. I want to try duck hunting. Of course, I know a guy who knows some people who can get us access to a private club with excellent hunting in Canada.

Social networking through tools like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter have only made this easier. I have several Facebook friends who have specific knowledge, or are in distant geographic locations. Want to know how the South Branch of the Au Sable is fishing? I know a guy. Curious if the leaves are changing in the UP? I know a guy for that. Pretty cool, eh?

-Sean-

No comments: