31 August, 2010

Be Prepared

Looks like it's "tween" season for me. Trout's a Summer pursuit. And while I know lots who love it, Salmon really aren't my bag. Crowds usually hit the river, plus you're just chasing a big, dumb fish. When you hook up it's like connecting with a Caterpillar D9 bulldozer. But it just lacks the challenge of steelhead or trout.

So, I prepare. It's the Boy Scout in me. How can I be most ready for a productive, safe, and warm season? This week, I'm picking up my Ross Momentum V with Rio Skagit Short line for two-handing with the switch rod. And got my 8-weight Orvis Wonderline on a spare spool for my Battenkill LA V -- this will become the Indy rig for the single-hand rod. So, now I have swing and indy on the switch rod, indy and chuck-n-duck on the single-hand rod, and a centerpin indy rig. Any water, any time. I've even added some knowledge about what rivers and what seasons are appropriate for which.

Fly box is about half full. I'm chugging away whenever I find some time. Mostly focused on early season patterns, but also tying for Winter. I've also got a few Green Caddis nymphs in olive and chartreuse. My tying skills aren't up to Stoneflies. Yet. By late October, I should be all ready to rock through March.

Found a great hardware box for Winter, too at Centerpin Angling. 1/4 the size (and weight) of my current one and will hold swivels, snaps, beads, weight, and other critical little parts. Check it out here.

And so I wait for late October. But I'll be ready.

-Sean-

No comments: