10 August, 2010

Leave No Trace

Maybe it's the former Boy Scout in me, but I've been somewhat surprised on my last few trips into the woods. With all the play that Leave No Trace gets, I sure see a lot of trash. Latest was along the PM.

I know we all need to share the rivers, but the culprit seems to be the canoe trips. Canoe landings and rest stops seem to have been the worst At the pull-out above Green Cottage, I came upon a nice little pile of empty water bottles, foil wrappers, chip bags, and other delightful surprises. We're talking a pretty sizeable collection. I've seen similar this summer on the AuSable and Huron rivers.

You could try the theory that they're river novices and don't get it. And, I suppose you'd be right. But seriously, what moron doesn't get that? Do you throw your trash on the floor at home? Ummm, no...

When I visit the outdoors - whether hunting, fishing, or camping - I try to leave the location just a little cleaner than when I got there. While my fires were getting started, I would walk the campsite and pick up miscellaneous litter. Didn't take long and made a nice difference. I do think I'm going to stuff a couple of trash bags into my vest. Next time I'll pack that litter pile OUT.

-Sean-

No comments: