11 August, 2010

Spey to Play

Getting anxious for Fall steelheadin' with my new Skagit rig. Was talking to a fishing buddy yesterday and he picked up a 14' spey rod with a Ross Momentum 6. This got me all fired up again.

So, here's the rig:

Rod: Temple Forks Outfitters Deer Creek Series 11'6" 8-weight switch rod
Reel: Ross Momentum V (also have a Momentum LT with standard fly line for Indy fishing)
Line: Rio Skagit Short, in 475 grain + 5' cheater (if needed)
Heads: various lengths of T-11 to achieve proper depth in various currents

I've already got a few locations in mind to rock this rig on. If the water's higher, I think it could be an ideal solution on the Manistique river in the central UP. Also parts of the PM. And I've been eager to check out the lower Muskegon. And, naturally on the Big Manistee. If I get to Steelhead Alley in Ohio, this seems like a logical choice, too.

After last Spring's day on the PM, I love this style. Smooth, fluid, and once you get the hang of casting, oh-so-easy! All the chuck-n-duck guys were looking at me and many commented that it looked like far less work.

-Sean-

No comments: